Michael E. Eisenberg
Call us to discuss your legal options. P 267-722-8383

How do I keep my ex from badmouthing me?

Fighting parents can have life-long lasting effects on their child's ability to trust in both romantic and platonic relationships. If you believe your ex-spouse is exposing your child to negative opinions about you, it's important not to stand by.

Talk it out

The first step is to have a discussion with your ex-spouse in the most respectful way possible. Try not to place blame on your ex or say anything that might antagonize them. This will likely fuel the fire.

To ensure that the conversation is peaceful, you may even consider bringing in a third-party to mediate the discussion. Using a child psychologist as a mediator is one way that the two of you may be able to reconcile your differences in the best interests of your child.

Explain that you don't want to damage your child's perception of each parent as a role model. Doing this can make it difficult for the child to trust either parent as well as others in future relationships.

Try co-parenting classes

Another way to work through your differences with your ex-spouse could be to attend co-parenting classes. These classes train divorced or separated parents to keep their child's best interests at the forefront of all of their decision making.

Seek legal action

If you have tried to reason with your ex respectfully and still aren't getting any results, you may need to resort to legal action. It's important to preserve a positive relationship with your child and to keep them from feeling as though they need to choose a side.

A Family Law attorney can help you assess your situation and advise whether a change to the custody order is necessary.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Michael E. Eisenberg Attorney At Law

2935 Byberry Road Suite 107
Hatboro, PA 19040

Toll Free: 800-851-2534
Phone: 267-728-4535
Phone: 267-722-8383
Fax: 267-722-8374
Hatboro Law Office Map

1581 Main St.,
Suite 200
Warrington, PA 18976

Toll Free: 800-851-2534
Phone: 267-728-4535
Map & Directions