Michael E. Eisenberg
Call us to discuss your legal options. P 267-722-8383

Is it possible to get an annulment in Pennsylvania?

If you are married and considering a separation, you may be reluctant to file for divorce for financial, legal or religious reasons. In some cases, there are other options. You may be able to go through a legal separation, or you may be able to terminate your marriage by going through a civil annulment.

Annulments are subject to state laws, so it is important to observe what the law says in the state in which you intend to terminate your marriage. In Pennsylvania, it is possible to invalidate a marriage by going through an annulment, but only in certain circumstances. The following blog will give an overview of when an annulment is possible in Pennsylvania.

When one spouse was underage at the time of the marriage

In Pennsylvania, a person must be 18 years of age before legally consenting to marriage. However, if the person's parents gave consent, they can marry at the age of 16. If a person was under the age of 18 when they got married and they did not get their parent's consent, the marriage can be annulled.

When one spouse was mentally incapacitated when entering into marriage

If one person was under the influence of alcohol or drugs when entering the marriage, they likely would not have been able to give consent. Similarly, if a person is suffering from a mental illness or a physical health condition that has led to mental incapacity when entering a marriage, the marriage may also be annulled.

When a spouse is already married

Bigamy and polygamy are illegal in the United States. If one spouse has an undissolved prior marriage still in existence, this can be grounds for annulment.

You sometimes need to act within a certain time frame for an annulment to be possible

If you want to go through an annulment because you or your spouse were underage or under the influence at the time of the marriage, action must be taken within 60 days to successfully annul the marriage.

An annulment can be a simpler way to end a marriage in certain situations. If you are going through marital struggles, it is a good idea that you consider all your options before proceeding.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Michael E. Eisenberg Attorney At Law

2935 Byberry Road Suite 107
Hatboro, PA 19040

Toll Free: 800-851-2534
Phone: 267-728-4535
Phone: 267-722-8383
Fax: 267-722-8374
Hatboro Law Office Map

1581 Main St.,
Suite 200
Warrington, PA 18976

Toll Free: 800-851-2534
Phone: 267-728-4535
Map & Directions