Child support and the Passport Denial Program

If you have to pay child support, it is vital to do everything in your power to stay current. Falling behind on these obligations can result in harsh repercussions, and many parents lose their driver’s license and even face the threat of arrest as a result of back child support. In fact, unpaid child support can also affect your passport privileges.

Whether you have already fallen behind on child support or you worry about your ability to stay current, you should familiarize yourself with the Passport Denial Program if you intend to travel overseas in the future.

What is the Passport Denial Program?

The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services provides an overview of the Passport Denial Program, which prevents parents who fail to pay child support they owe from obtaining passports. If a parent owes more than $2,500 in unpaid child support, this program results in the denial of a passport application as well as the revocation of a current passport.

In order to restore passport privileges, parents must pay all of the back child support that they owe.

How can parents address unpaid child support?

Whether you have planned a vacation to another country or you need to head overseas for business purposes, it is essential to pay the support you owe. If you have fallen behind, you could set up a payment plan or make payment arrangements with the state. Moreover, some parents can modify their child support order. Successfully modifying a child support order can reduce the amount a parent owes and make it easier to stay current.


FindLaw Network