Can I get child support even if I was not married?

Child support is a critical aspect of ensuring that children receive the financial support they need to thrive. However, many people are unsure whether they can receive child support if they were not married to the other parent of their child.

Fortunately, in Pennsylvania, you can receive child support even if you were not married. This article will discuss the steps you need to take to obtain child support in Pennsylvania when you are not married. By following these steps, you can help ensure that your child receives the financial support they need to grow and succeed.

Establishing paternity

The first step in obtaining child support is to establish paternity. If you are not married to the father of your child, you and the father must establish paternity before seeking child support. You can voluntarily establish paternity by signing an Acknowledgment of Paternity form or through genetic testing. Once you establish paternity, the father can be legally obligated to pay child support.

Filing a complaint for support

After you establish paternity, you can file a Complaint for Support with the Domestic Relations Section of the Court of Common Pleas in your county. The complaint must include information about both parents and the child, such as their names, birth dates and addresses. You will also need to provide information about your income, expenses and the child’s needs.

The Domestic Relations Section will schedule a conference between the parents to discuss child support. If the parents cannot agree, they will schedule a hearing. At the hearing, a judge will determine child support based on factors such as the needs of the child, the income of both parents and the custody arrangement.


FindLaw Network