When should you consider a post-decree modification?

At the conclusion of your divorce, your settlement may suffice all of your needs considering the circumstances. However, as your life progresses, you may find that aspects of your agreement no longer apply.

Knowing when to request a post-decree modification can help you to maintain the function of your settlement.


Paying alimony to your ex may not have ever been something you wanted to do. However, if you know that your ex has recently acquired a large inheritance or received a notable promotion at work, you may question how necessary it is that you continue to make payments. Likewise, if you fall on hard times, you may not have the resources to continue making payments.

A post-decree modification allows you to petition for changes to your original agreement. Perhaps the courts will consider lowering the amount you owe or changing the frequency of payments. You can also see what your options are for a sunset clause that will automatically annul an agreement when it is no longer necessary or applicable. According to U.S. News, one benefit of divorce is the ability to control your finances. Potentially reducing the amount you owe for alimony can support your financial goals.

Child custody

Changes to child custody requirements can also happen via a post-decree modification. If you have an ex that refuses to participate in the agreement, you may need to modify the agreement to make it more convenient for you. Additionally, as your children grow, they will have different needs. Schedules may change. You or your spouse may relocate. These types of changes may make it virtually impossible to continue your original custody arrangement.

Working with an attorney can help you identify when a post-decree modification can improve your situation. Making timely changes and maintaining a satisfactory settlement can help you keep your focus on reaching your goals.


FindLaw Network