When do courts award child custody to nonparents?

Parents have a natural right to custody of their children. However, there are instances when courts grant child custody to a nonparent, such as grandparents, siblings or relatives.

Whether you are a parent going through separation or divorce and want to protect your parental rights or are family to a child involved in custody case, it can benefit you to know the situations and reasons why nonparental custody awards occur. This allows you to evaluate the circumstances surrounding your case and set your expectations about the outcome.

Grounds for nonparental custody

Courts may award child custody to nonparents in situations where the biological parents are deemed unfit, unwilling or unable to care for their child. Instances when this may be the case include the following:

  • Substance abuse
  • Incarceration
  • Abuse
  • Neglect
  • Abandonment
  • Death

Note that these situations do not automatically strip parents of their custody rights. The judge will first evaluate whether these circumstances pose a danger to the child’s safety or well-being.

Other considerations for the grant

Just because a child’s biological parent is unfit to care for them does not necessarily mean the court will automatically award custody to a nonparent. When considering nonparental custody, the court’s primary focus is always the child’s best interests. This includes evaluating the child’s safety, emotional well-being and the ability of the nonparent to offer a stable living situation.

How to approach your custody case

In custody cases, it is important to find the right balance between protecting parental rights and promoting the child’s best interests. If the court awarding custody to a nonparent is in the child’s best interests, then parents must respect this decision and prioritize what is best for their child’s well-being.

No matter what your situation is, it is best to acquaint yourself with the child custody process and the potential issues you may come across during the proceedings. This is possible through adequate research and the guidance of a knowledgeable legal representative who can answer your questions about custody.


FindLaw Network