3 reasons you might change your child custody agreement

Your custody agreement outlines which parent is the primary caretaker of your child following a divorce. It also describes a visitation schedule and other parenting provisions.

There is a possibility that circumstances can change for your child, your ex-spouse or yourself which necessitate a change to your custody agreement or a specific section of the document. While tensions may linger following your divorce case, it is worth talking to your ex-spouse to determine if modifying your child custody agreement is the right choice.

1. One parent is going far away

Suppose the non-custodial parent relocates a great distance away or undergoes deployment in the armed forces. In that case, it could be worth altering your custody agreement to reflect that they will not visit the child as frequently.

2. There is a personal economic change

A significant change in one’s income or overall finances can affect the ability to care for a child. If one parent no longer has the means to support your child, your parenting plan should account for that new circumstance.

3. Your child is ready to provide input

Your child’s preference as to which parent they wish to live with is worth considering if you feel that they are at a level of maturity necessary to make such a decision. While a minor’s wishes have no direct influence over a court’s ruling, you and your co-parent can make this change if you are in mutual agreement.

When the time comes to change your Pennsylvania child custody agreement, you can petition the child custody court for modification. This process will go much more smoothly if you and your ex-spouse are in agreement about the change.


FindLaw Network