Helping You Overcome Life’s


  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Divorce FAQ

Divorce: Frequently Asked Questions

If you’re considering divorce in Pennsylvania, you may be wondering where to start. Divorce can be confusing and stressful, but having a knowledgeable, compassionate lawyer on your side can help you understand your rights.

I am attorney Michael E. Eisenberg and I use more than 30 years of experience in family law, as well as a history of proven results, when handling divorce cases. Below are frequently asked questions about divorce.

Q. What’s the difference between contested and uncontested divorce?

A. A contested divorce is one that ends up in court due to the inability of the parties to agree on the terms. These may include custody, visitation, support payments and property division. In an uncontested divorce, the parties agree on all these specifics and do not need to have their differences litigated in court. We can help you determine how best to proceed depending on your unique situation.

Q. What is a no-fault divorce?

A. When fault is established, the party at fault due to infidelity, cruelty, desertion, addiction, mental illness or being sent to jail may end up with a worse deal. In a no-fault divorce, neither party is being charged with any wrongdoing. Rather, both parties simply agree they want to be divorced. However, no-fault divorces should not be confused with uncontested divorces. No-fault divorces can take years to complete. Consult with me and discuss the specifics of your situation for a better idea of your options.

Q. How long does a divorce take?

A. The time it takes for you to become officially divorced varies depending mainly on how much of your case must be litigated before a judge. Pennsylvania requires a 90-day waiting period after the initial complaint is filed. After that, if both parties file a declaration of consent, a judge can issue a decree as soon as he or she is able. A no-fault divorce can be final in as few as five months, whereas a contested divorce may drag on for years.

Q. Who pays attorney fees?

A. The court decides who will pay attorney fees. This may be done in a preliminary fashion, then changed when the judge issues the final order or if one party is noncompliant with the terms of the divorce.

Get More Answers To Divorce Questions Today

Discuss any aspect of your impending divorce during a free initial consultation with me, attorney Michael E. Eisenberg. I serve communities in and near Hatboro, Bucks County and Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Call my office now at 267-728-4535 or 800-851-2534, or contact me online.