Helping You Overcome Life’s


  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Spousal Support And Alimony
  6.  » Spousal Support FAQ

Do You Have Questions About Spousal Support And Alimony?

When you are getting a divorce, spousal support and alimony can be two of the most difficult matters to resolve. My clients tend to come to my offices in Hatboro and Warrington with many questions and concerns about these issues. These are some of the questions that people frequently ask about alimony and spousal support.

What Is The Difference Between Spousal Support, Alimony And Alimony Pendente Lite?

Spousal support is a type of financial support that one spouse pays to the other while still married. If one spouse files for divorce, then he or she may have to pay a type of support called alimony pendente lite until the court finalizes the divorce. Post-divorce financial support from one former spouse to the other is called alimony.

How Do Pennsylvania Courts Determine Spousal Support And Alimony?

Every divorce is different, and courts will examine your individual circumstances when issuing a decree. A few things the court will consider include:

  • You and your spouse’s income, assets and debts
  • Both of your earning capacities
  • Whether the dependent spouse can be self-supporting
  • The length of the marriage
  • Each spouse’s contribution to the household
  • The standard of living during the marriage

How Much Will I Have To Pay My Spouse? How Much Will I Receive?

There is no one-size-fits-all formula to determine your amount of spousal support or alimony. There are simply too many variables, particularly if your case proceeds to court. If you and your spouse choose to mediate your divorce, then you will work together to determine the amount.

What Can I Do To Obtain The Resolution That I Need?

To obtain a decree that is financially favorable, you need knowledgeable legal counsel. Working with an experienced divorce attorney can go a long way toward resolving your spousal support or alimony dispute favorably. A lawyer can steadfastly advocate for your side of the argument during pretrial negotiations or in court.

Discuss Alimony Or Spousal Support With Me

Legal representation is key to resolving your alimony or spousal support dispute favorably. Contact Michael E. Eisenberg in Montgomery County, in Bucks County and throughout the Philadelphia metro area to discuss your case. Call 267-728-4535 or contact the firm online.